Friday, August 19, 2011

2 days to go!


Well racing has finally got underway and we our now into our 4th day of racing. The NZ team has already had a number of medals - Boys team pursuit 3rd, Sophie 3rd in the points race, Cassie also 3rd in the scratch race and Dylan with a wicked come back from 9th going into the second day of the Omnium to finishing with a 3rd after winning the Kilo and Scratch race. The Omnium is a multiple race event which consists of 6 events and the points are awarded in a reverse order so the rider who has the lest points wins the event. The girls team pursuit were narrowly beaten in the Bronze medal ride off and finished 4th also in the men's scratch race we had Hayden who had a great race and was in a 4 man break away but came down to a sprint and finished 4th. So far the rest of the team has been in fine form and have been really positive each day. 
Georgia leading the girls TP
Boys TP in action.

Paige and I in the qualifying round.

Riding off for the Bronze medal.

Stella and I
My results so far....In the Team Sprint, Paige and I qualified 3rd and rode off for Bronze against the Polish, we were able to edge them out and win the bronze by 1 second. The Russians won and the Aussies came 2nd. On the second day of racing I had my sprint qualifying which I was hoping to gain that World Record held my Becky James of Great Britain but I was out by only 0.011s and my time was 11.104s to secure the top qualifying spot. I was lucky enough to have a bye in the first round because the top 24 qualified but there were only 23 riders, so I went straight through to the next round were I raced one of the Americans and comfortably beat her. In the quarterfinals I was up against Stella from Italy, funny enough last year at the Junior World champs, in the Semi finals I raced her but this year was a new year and anything could happen. I was able to beat her 2-0, after the race she said to me "Same as last year! But this year you’re faster". In the semi-finals I came up against one of the Russians,  Tamara, now the races were getting faster and now the tactics were crucial, I also beat her 2-0. This was really exciting being the first NZ female sprinter to make the Gold/Silver medal ride off I knew that I had already bettered my last year's disappointing 4th place in the sprints. Unfortunately in the finals my opponent was clearly too strong and had a home advantage and bet me 2-0. I finished off with the Silver and Victoria of Great Britain had a really strong ride in the finals and secured herself a Bronze medal.
At the start line for one of the Gold medal ride offs
Today Paige and I have the Keirin rounds, Sophie is finishing off her Omnium event, Men's Individual Pursuit which consists of Scott and Fraser and finally we have Alex doing the Men's points race later tonight. Tomorrow in the final day of racing Paige and I have our final event....the 500m time trial, Georgia and Georgina have their individual pursuits and the lucky last event for Fraser and Alex is the Madison.

Bye for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment